In the News

Subject: In the News
From: "Amy Mata" <AMata@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:26:33 -0400
-------------------

Goodbye, DRM; hello "stealable" Digital Personal Property.
By Nate Anderson, Ars Technica, September 7, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/mrzc2m

"People hate DRM, but one IEEE study group has a possible fix for many
of its problems: make digital content easy to steal from others. The
moment that happens, consumers can be trusted with content."
---------

11th-Hour Filings Oppose Google's Book Settlement.
Miguel Helft, The New York Times, September 8, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/kpxgm4

"After a flurry of last-minute filings on Tuesday, a federal judge must
now begin untangling the mountain of competing claims about how a legal
settlement granting Google the right to create the world's largest
digital library and bookstore would affect competition, authors' rights
and readers' privacy."
---------

 'Don't Copy That Floppy' Dusts Itself Off for the '00s.
By Andrew LaVallee, The Wall Street Journal, September 8, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/mz8fgo

"Remember "Don't Copy That Floppy," the anti-software-piracy video that
warned '90s-era kids away from copyright infringement? The nearly
10-minute clip features two classroom gamers who flirt with making a
duplicate disk so they can continue playing after school. A rapper
appears onscreen and tells them the error of their ways."
---------

U.S. Register of Copyrights Slams Google Book Search Settlement.
By Andrew Albanese, Publishers Weekly, September 10, 2009.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6695829.html

"In testimony before the House Judiciary subcommittee this morning,
Marybeth Peters, U.S. Register of Copyrights, in her first detailed
comments on the subject, blasted the Google Book Search Settlement as
"fundamentally at odds with the law."
---------

Google to Share Scanned Books with Rivals.
By Diane Bartz, Reuters, September 10, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/rdgq32

"Google Inc, criticized for scanning books without copyright permission,
has said it would open its digital library to rivals and bookstores, the
search engine giant said on Thursday."
---------

Canada: Copyright Consultations Wrap Up Sunday.
By Tiffany Crawford, Canada.com, September 11, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/nfokpc

"Canadians who want to weigh in on Canada's copyright laws - on topics
ranging from file-sharing to using published work on the Internet - have
until Sunday to submit their ideas, as the federal government is set
this fall to re-introduce amendments to the Copyright Act."
---------

Record Labels Sue over Use of Songs on Ellen Show.
Alex Dobuzinskis, Reuters, September 11, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/pjfjsd

"Four of the world's biggest recording companies have sued the producers
of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," accusing them of using songs without
permission."
---------

Dirt Cheap: Techdirt Bets on Free Business Models.
By Greg Sandoval, CNET News, Septmeber 13, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/r7oehu

"Over the past couple of years, the free model has drawn a lot of
attention. For instance, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails stirred a lot of
fanfare with their attempts at music giveaways. In an interview with
CNET News, Masnick spoke about his tests at finding a new publishing
paradigm, copyright fights, and rage."
---------

Why Are We Subjected to Beatlemania, Again?
By Tamara Conniff, The Huffington Post, September 13, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/qbpu5m

"I love the Beatles, don't get me wrong. I worship and adore. Paul
McCartney in concert is a religious experience. But I'm over it. I'm
over Beatlemania. I want it to stop. Why? Why now? Ah, a little thing
called sound recording copyright."

Amy Mata
Graduate Assistant
Center for Intellectual Property
University of Maryland University College

amata@xxxxxxxx