In the News

Subject: In the News
From: "Amy Mata" <AMata@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:58:00 -0400
-------------------

EFF: TI Calculator Hackers Didn't Violate DMCA
By Stephen Shankland, CNET News, October 13, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/yzykuzg

"The Electronic Frontier Foundation on Tuesday rebutted legal assertions
by Texas Instruments that enthusiasts who figured how to install their
own operating systems on TI calculators violated the Digital Millenium
Copyright Act."
---------

Reservella: The shadowy company behind The Pirate Bay.
By Nate Anderson, Ars Technica, October 12, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/yzoybhx

"Dutch copyright holders this week filed documents in court alleging
that The Pirate Bay's mysterious owner, Reservella, is nothing more than
a front for The Pirate Bay administrators, who have been in legal
trouble for years. Pirate Bay spokesperson Peter Sunde calls the
document a forgery."
---------

Book Trade Seeks a Deal with Google.
By Georgina Prodhan, Reuters, October 10, 2009.
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE5983WY20091010

"The world's book trade meets in Frankfurt next week on the brink of a
long-feared transformation of the industry for which few are well
prepared."
---------

Merkel Criticizes Google for Copyright Infringement.
By Erik Kirschbaum, Reuters, October 10, 2009.
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE5991K520091010

"German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Saturday criticized the efforts of
Google Inc to build a massive digital library, saying the Internet
should not be exempt from copyright laws."
---------

Rupert Murdoch Says Google is Stealing His Content. So Why Doesn't He
Stop Them?
By Weston Kosova, Newsweek, October 9, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/yl6t83c

"The executives who run big, ailing news organizations-in particular Tom
Curley of AP and News Corp.'s Rupert Murdoch-complain every chance they
get that search engines-in particular Google-are stealing from them,
because Google links to their stories but doesn't pay the AP or News
Corp. to do so. The way the news bosses see it, that is theft, plain and
simple."
---------

Is Balance the Right Standard for Judging Copyright Law?
By Michael Masnick, Techdirt, October 9, 2009.

"For many years, I've pointed out that I tend to disagree with many
folks -- who I otherwise agree with -- in copyright debates, who argue
that we should be looking for the "right balance" of copyright holder
rights vs. user rights. I've long thought that balance is the wrong way
to look at it. The purpose of copyright law is to incentivize the
creation of new content, and thus the standard on which copyright law
should be judged is one where the creation of content is maximized. As
such, there shouldn't be a question of balance, because the ideal
situation where content is maximized should make everyone better off."
---------

Copyright Battle Comes Home.
By Eriq Garner, IP Law & Business, October 8, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/yzv5hxw

"Soon, though, the major labels are going to have a different copyright
battle on their hands -- one that will pit them not against those who
want to listen to recordings, but those who created them in the first
place. Call it the fight over "Funkytown."
---------

Music Publishers: 'Copyright should be technology neutral'
By Greg Sandoval, CNET News, October 7, 2009.
http://tinyurl.com/yb7g238

"Composers, music publishers, and songwriters have told federal
lawmakers that regardless of whether music is distributed to consumers
via TV, DVDs or digital download, they need legislative help to ensure
they get their fair share."

Amy Mata
Graduate Assistant
Center For Intellectual Property
University of Maryland University College
Rm. 2407, Largo, 3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD  20783
(240) 684-2967 office
(240) 684-2961 fax
amata@xxxxxxxx