RE: Digitizing Videos

Subject: RE: Digitizing Videos
From: Deg Farrelly <deg.farrelly@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:05:51 -0700
US copyright law section 108 spells out in detail when a 100% copy can be
made.
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108

Items that are lost, damaged, deteriorating, or in an obsolete format can be
copied when:

 *   The library is unable to locate an unused copy
 *   For a reasonable price
 *   After a reasonable search

Up to 3 digital copies (which DVDs are) can be made, BUT the digital copies
cannot leave the library.
VHS is not yet an obsolete format.  New players are still available for
purchase, as is blank tape (even if they are now harder to find)

Borrow from ILL to make a copy of a work you own (that meets the lost,
damaged, etc. criteria)?  Sure.
But copy something borrowed because it is not available for purchase?  No.

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University

**********

Subject: Digitizing Videos
[Posted on behalf of Christine Salmon at University of Texas at Dallas.
Please reply to the list or to christine.salmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]

=====
Hello,

We have had several professors request our media services to make DVD
copie= s of VHS tapes that either belong to the university library or to
their own private collection. Our librarians are searching for DVD
copies of the VHS tapes that are in the library=B9s collection and they
even research for video= s from faculty private collection. When the DVD
version cannot be found, the faculty come to us.

What would your recommendations be =AD could we claim Fair Use and make
one DVD copy for classroom use? What about the professor who gets a VHS
from Interlibrary Loan? I know we won=B9t do videos from Blockbuster,
etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Christine

Christine Salmon, PhD