Intellectual Property Empowerment Summit (DC)

Subject: Intellectual Property Empowerment Summit (DC)
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:45:04 -0400
Free in DC.
Of interest...

The IIPSJ Intellectual Property Empowerment Summit
Friday, November 5, 2010
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Howard University School of Law
2900 Van Ness Street NW
Washington, DC 20008
Register at http://cipcommunity.org/iipsj2010.

Keynote Speakers:

*   Honorable David J. Kappos, Under Secretary of Commerce for
Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and
Trademark Office(USPTO)
*   Victoria Espinel, U.S. Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator
*   Sharon Barner, Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual
Property and Deputy Director of the USPTO

(For the full IP Empowerment Summit Program visit us at iipsj.org or
http://iipsj.org/pdfs/IIPSJ-IP-EmpowermentSummitProgramBrochure.pdf.)

The Institute of Intellectual Property and Social Justice (IIPSJ) will
conduct its first National IP Empowerment Summit, at the Howard
University School of Law. The IP Empowerment Summit will bring together
a diverse group of IP professionals, including IP lawyers from private
practice, in-house counsel, and educators, to collaborate with
legislators and public interest and community activists to devise
empowerment strategies for community development built around artistic
works and technological innovation.  The Summit is intended to educate
and empower minority and other marginalized artists, inventors,
entrepreneurs, in underserved communities, and to assist them with the
development, protection, and exploitation of their IP works. The
Summit's IP Empowerment Action Committees will address common IP
questions such as:

*   What is IP and why should I protect it?
*   How do I protect my IP?
*   What (free or inexpensive) services are available to help me?
*   How can I make the most of my creations/inventions in the
marketplace?
*   Where can I access more information if I've already started the
process?
*   Is cultural expression in my community protectable?
*   What should I know about IP social policy and the public interest
(and how I can I affect it)?

For additional information about the IP Empowerment Summit please visit
us at www.iipsj.org or contact Tashia Bunch Henderson at 617-956-5909 or
at henderson@xxxxxxx