Question - faculty contribution to external learning system database

Subject: Question - faculty contribution to external learning system database
From: "C. Salmon" <christine.salmon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:22:10 -0600
Hello all,

Our math department uses an external math learning system  MuchLearning
in which they are able to create and upload problems to a database inside
the MuchLearning system. The database is restricted to our students.
MuchLearning has offered the university a tidy sum to purchase the problem
database.  Our question is  if the university generally does not assert its
IP rights to educational materials created by faculty, as stated in the IP
policy, would such activity  creating and uploading problems to the
database still be considered the IP of the individual faculty or could it be
considered work for hire and thus subject to university assertion of IP
rights (and thus, subject to the university making a deal with
MuchLearning?).

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Christine

Christine Salmon, PhD
Office of Educational Enhancement
Division of the Executive Vice President and Provost
University of Texas at Dallas
800 West Campbell Road, HH20
Richardson, TX 75080-3021
Office - 972.883.6965