[Center for Intellectual Property] News Bulletin March 2011

Subject: [Center for Intellectual Property] News Bulletin March 2011
From: "Delise DeFreitas" <ddefreitas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:00:38 -0600
 News & NotesNews Bulletin of the CIP
                            March 2011    in this
issue http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7081&eid=4336    ::
)ollectanea..CIP blog featuring IP Scholar Peggy Hoon   :: Professional
Opportunity for Law Students   :: Open Source and Open Access   :: What's
Happening at the CIP?   :: Institutional Members   :: In the News   ::
Consultation Services   :: Membership Has its Benefits! IP Scholar Peggy Hoon
now on CIP's blog....)ollectaneaRunning in Circles:
    Copyright Licensing, and the Educational Environment
"Recall the famous scene at the end of the classic Clint Eastwood western,
"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." Eastwood and the two villains are arranged
in a circle, each waiting for the others to draw their guns and start the
fight. Everyone wants the same thing (confederate gold), but no one trusts
either of the others. The unforgettable music plays and the camera closes in
on each pair of eyes, shifting back and forth, watching the others for
 any
movement. The build-up to the eventual gunfight seems to last forever.
In considering the diverse choice of topics of import we might discuss here,
it seemed natural to mentally review the readings and work projects that have
recently dominated my time. I noticed an interesting convergence of people,
online posts, work assignments, and even a bit of my personal life. These
individual components seemed to reinforce that we, the stakeholders in the
information, technology, and copyright ecosystem, have allowed
ourselves to
be herded by copyright and technology-induced paranoia into a circular
stand-off characterized by some very core misunderstandings of the goals and
capabilities we each need from the same intellectual property. We've forgotten
what we used to know about each other, perhaps even lost some mutual trust and
respect. Of course, this is not universally true - there are a host of
examples of productive collaborations - but enough roadblocks remain to prompt
articulation of some basic
realities that seem to have been forgotten in the
crush of information overload, a poor economy, and the need to avoid
extinction. The vehicle triggering this concern is the now-familiar license
accompanying technologically advanced delivery of intellectual property in the
university library environment."
Peggy Hoon's blog post can be found in its entirety at
 http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7080&eid=4336 or
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7079&eid=4336.  Professional
Opportunity for Law StudentsIn today's very competitive legal market, the CIP
Member Community will assist law students in developing their copyright
expertise, expanding their career network and sharing their scholarship. The
CIP is reaching out to law students to become part of its growing membership
that includes approximately 350 individual members and 19 institutional
members, which average 2,400 institutional employees.
    Some of the benefits of CIP membership include exclusive access to:   Post
your resume, manage your profile, and take advantage of career and social
networking opportunities with other membersCreate and participate in interest
groupsShare your scholarship and professional publications with community
members and access those of othersMonthly Q & A sessions by colleagues and
experts in the fieldStart your own community blog and include live RSS content
from other sitesPeer-submitted full-text documents and researchTutorials,
primers, podcasts, videos, and other members-only learning resources
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7078&eid=4336to take advantage of
this professional opportunity.  Open Source and Open AccessRegister Today for
a Course with Michael Carroll, J.D.Dates: April 18 - 29, 2011 (Register by
April 8)Instructor:
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7077&eid=4336Description:This
workshop will focus on twin themes born out of the Internet's culture of
sharing and accessibility.
First, we will explore the ideas and practices of producers and developers who
create open source products with the goal of making the products' source
materials widely available. We will also discuss some of the issues associated
with copyright, licensing, and consumer use that have arisen within this
environment.
    Second, the workshop will look at the growing movement of open access
initiatives and the desire to make widely available online digital documents
that are free of charge and free of most copyright and licensing restrictions.
What's Happening at the CIP?On our Calendar of Educational Programming
     *Note: Community Conversations are FREE for CIP
members!http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7076&eid=4336http://cipc
ommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7075&eid=4336Dates: January 18-March 11,
2011 (Register by January 3)
Instructor:http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7074&eid=4336,
Executive Director of the Center for Intellectual Property, University of
Maryland University
Collegehttp://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7073&eid=4336http://cipco
mmunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7072&eid=4336Dates: February 14-March 11,
2011 (Register by February
4)Instructor:http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7071&eid=4336http:/
/cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7070&eid=4336http://cipcommunity.org/r
edirect.aspx?linkID=7069&eid=4336Managing Your Career in Uncertain Economic
TimesDate: March 9, 2011Presenter: Lisa Andrews, M.S., Ph.D., Director, Career
Services, University of Maryland University
CollegeCIP @ ACRL 2011 We will at
booth #257 at the ACRL conference @ Philadelphia Convention center from March
30- April 1. Hope to see you there!
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7068&eid=4336Copyright and Works
for HireAn Introduction to the Workshop
"http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7067&eid=4336"Date: March 30,
2011Presenter: http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7066&eid=4336,
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Law at the University of
North Carolina School of Law.
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7065&eid=4336Use of the Public
Domain /Creative Commons for Academic PurposesDate: April 13, 2011Presenter:
Tammy Ravas, MLS, MA, Visual and Performing Arts Librarian and Media
Coordinator, Assistant
 Professor, Mansfield Library, University of
Montanahttp://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7064&eid=4336Dates: April
18-29, 2011 (Register by April
8)Instructor:http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7063&eid=4336,
Professor of Law,
Director, Program on Information Justice and Intellectual
Property, Washington College of Law, American
Universityhttp://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7062&eid=4336http://ci
pcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7061&eid=4336Advanced Licensing IssuesAn
Introduction to the Workshop
"http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7060&eid=4336"Date: May 11,
2011Presenter: http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7059&eid=4336,
Associate Professor and Head of the Serials and Electronic Resources
Department, The Ohio State University Libraries.
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7058&eid=4336Dates: May 16-27,
2011 (Register by May
6)Instructor:http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7057&eid=4336,
Associate Dean
for Academic Affairs & Professor of Law, University of North
Carolina School of Law in Chapel
Hillhttp://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7056&eid=4336http://cipcommu
nity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7055&eid=4336Archival Holdings Online: The Role
of CopyrightDate: June  15, 2011Presenter: Jean Dryden, PhD, Assistant
Professor, University of Maryland College Park,
iSchoolhttp://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7054&eid=4336Dates: July
11-August 5, 2011 (Register by July
4)Instructor:http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7053&eid=4336,
Associate Professor and Head of the Serials and Electronic Resources
Department, The Ohio State University
Librarieshttp://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7052&eid=4336http://cip
community.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7051&eid=4336Dates: October 3-28, 2011
(Register by September
23)Instructor:http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7050&eid=4336,
Senior Partner, Lutzker & Lutzker LLP
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7049&eid=4336Membership has its
BenefitsYou need not be a CIP member to register for
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7048&eid=4336 or for the
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7047&eid=4336 program,  BUT...As
a member you will receive:Discounts on CIP educational programmingDiscounts on
CIP Consultation Services Community Conversations -- free monthly online
chats
        Copyright Help Desk -- forum for general information and research
assistance on copyright questionsLegislative Alerts and Action Center --
legislative and policy updates; contact Congress and mediaFile Library
-- collection of resources, scholarship, and research from the CIP and
community membersEye on Copyright -- quarterly member newsletterVisit
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7046&eid=4336 to learn more about
our membership levels and their specific benefits.
    Full members of the CIP receive discounted registration rates on
educational programs and the Certification program.  They may also participate
in the members-only Community Conversation series.Not a member?
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7045&eid=4336.  You may also
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7044&eid=4336 to begin receiving
member discounts on these programs and to attend upcoming Community
Conversations.http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7043&suid=94b59795
-13b6-4292-b25a-b135136fbc77&eid=4336Institutional Members
    The CIP is pleased to welcome the following institutions into membership:
    College of Southern Maryland State University of New York at Oswego
    Joining:Anne Arundel Community College
        Baylor University
        Brandeis University
        Buffalo State College
        Creighton University
        Drake University
        Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
        James Madison University
        Kansas State University--Manhattan
        Millersville University
        Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education
        Salisbury University
        Seminole State College
        University of California-Riverside
        University of Hawaii at Manoa
        University of Maryland University College (UMUC)
        University of Michigan
Want to get your institution on the list? Visit our
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7042&eid=4336 to learn how your
institution can join and begin receiving the benefits of institutional
membership.In the
News...http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7041&eid=4336Sydney
Morning Herald, March 3,
2011.http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7040&eid=4336The Florida
Courier, March 1,
2011http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7039&eid=4336AFP, March 1,
2011.http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7038&eid=4336The Orlando
Sentinel, February 26,
2011http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7037&eid=4336InformationToda
y.com, March 3,
2011.http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7036&eid=4336Techdirt, March
3, 2011.http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7035&eid=4336Consultation
ServicesProviding Clarification in Your Career
The Center for Intellectual Property is pleased to offer consultation services
on a range of subjects--either remotely or in person and at your institution
or organization.
Consultations may be requested with scholar
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7034&eid=4336 and with CIP staff
members http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7033&eid=4336 (Assistant
Director) and http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7032&eid=4336
(Executive Director).
Please visit the CIP's
http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7031&eid=4336 page for more
information and to request your consultation today.Copyright Help Desk
A forum moderated by students from Washington, D.C. area law schools where CIP
members can receive general information and research assistance in response to
copyright
questions.http://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7030&eid=4336CIP @ ACRL
2011
LEARN! Find out how the CIP Member Community can help you advance your
copyright knowledge and join today.
COME EARLY! The first 25 to stop by our booth will receive FREE individual
memberships.
WIN! Enter a drawing for a chance to win two FREE registrations to the next
CIP symposium.Save the Date!
CIP Member Conference
            June 6-8, 2012
Join the CIP Member Community in Maryland for this special event!Come to the
Career CenterPost a Job...Find a
Jobhttp://cipcommunity.org/redirect.aspx?linkID=7029&eid=4336
University of Maryland University College | Center for Intellectual Property -
Largo Academic Center3501 University Boulevard East | Adelphi | MD | 20783If
you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list,
http://cipcommunity.org/?sid=1039&gid=1&pgid=37&cid=51&seiid=535&ecatid=4&pui
d=94b59795-13b6-4292-b25a-b135136fbc77