Need advice

Subject: Need advice
From: "Barrera, Ms. Jennifer" <BARRERA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 08:48:28 -0500
Ok, here is the scenario that I'm dealing with...

An educational clearing house (http://www.acefacilities.org
)<http://www.acefacilities.org%20)> funded by the United States Department of
Education is wanting to provide learning events (webinars, podcasts, etc.)
open to the public.

My understanding is that they are attending the webinar, recording it, and
then posting it for access to the public via their own web conference service.
The podcasts are being downloaded to their server to be posted for the
public.

My first reaction was... who gave you permission to post the webinars,
podcasts? These are copyright protected.
This group feels however that they are covered under TEACH 110(2) and 17 USC
110(1) because they are calling it an online learning event. I don't think
that they are covered under these exemptions. Am I wrong??

Need advice!

Jennifer Barrera
Access Services Librarian
Dick Smith Library