In the News

Subject: In the News
From: Amy Mata <amymata87@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:17:41 -0400
--------------------
Copyright Defendants, EFF Step Up to Defend Righthaven Counsel Against
Sanctions
By Sue Reisinger, Law.com, July 13, 2011.
http://tinyurl.com/62ycfkh

"A federal judge in Nevada has set a July 14 hearing date to rule on
whether so-called "copyright troll" company Righthaven LLC and its
in-house lawyers should be sanctioned for misleading the court."

----------
Copyright As Censorship: Newport Television (Troll) Abusing DMCA To
Try To Silence Criticism.
The Wall Street Journal, July 12, 2011.
http://tinyurl.com/5voqvyj

"Another day, another case of someone abusing copyright law (and the
DMCA specifically) to try to stifle criticism. Before we get into the
details, let me be clear on one thing: as I was just discussing last
week, I dont think the panics about media consolidation are really
that reasonable in this day and age."

----------
Online music piracy topic of Nashville meeting.
By Joe Edwards, Forbes, July 12, 2011.
http://tinyurl.com/5ujs3d7

"Music industry officials are meeting this week in Nashville to
discuss ways to combat online music piracy.Some 70 people are
attending sessions organized by DDEX, Digital Data Exchange, to
develop ways for copyright tracking and enforcement and study
standards in the digital supply chain."

----------
Criminal Use is not Fair Use.
By Sandra Aistairs, The Copyright Alliance Blog, July 12, 2011.
http://blog.copyrightalliance.org/2011/07/criminal-use-is-not-fair-use/

"The Computer and Communications Industry Association this week issued
a white paper attempting to assign economic value to the fair use
defense against copyright infringement by presenting combined data of
industries that depend on fair use and other limitations upon the
regulatory reach of copyright laws.

----------
Coalition takes aim.
By Joe Flint, The Miami Herald, July 11, 2011.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/11/2309594/coalition-takes-aim.html

"A coalition of movie and television studios, cable and phone
companies and record labels is launching a wide-ranging effort to
crack down on Internet piracy, bringing together Internet service
providers and content creators in the fight against the theft of
intellectual property."

----------
Study: Fair Use Drives Large Part of US Economy.
By Grant Gross, PC World, July 11, 2011.
http://tinyurl.com/6kgmeyq

"Industries that rely on fair use exceptions to U.S. copyright law
have weathered the recent slow economy better than other businesses,
according to a new study released by a tech trade group.The fair use
industries, including consumer device makers, software developers,
search engines and news organizations, had US $4.5 trillion in revenue
in 2009, up from $3.4 trillion in 2002, according to the study,
commissioned by the Computer and Communications Industry (CCIA)
Association. Revenue peaked at $4.7 trillion in 2008 and 2009, said
the study, by Capital Trade, an economic consulting firm."