In the News

Subject: In the News
From: "Katrina Rowe" <KRowe@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:59:01 -0400
---------------------------------------
Copyright Dispute Over Tanning Lotion From Jersey Shore
techdirt.com, 8/17/2011
http://tinyurl.com/4ydp99x

"We've actually written about a copyright dispute involving a shampoo
bottle in the past. And now we've got a copyright dispute involving a
tanning lotion bottle. "

----------------
Martha Stewart Sued for Alleged Design Rip-Off
Reuters, 8/17/2011
http://tinyurl.com/3tzfr7q

"Stewart's company, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, is being sued for
copyright infringement by a Venice, Calif.-based designer, who claims
that the company made unauthorized use of one of his designs in the
magazine Martha Stewart Weddings."

----------------
Copyright Loophole May Hurt US Record Labels
ultimate-guitar.com, 8/17/2011
http://tinyurl.com/3rjpbfp

"Huge artists such Bruce Springsteen & Bob Dylan may take full control
of their own catalogues in two years."

----------------
Judge Rejects Copyright Suit Against Stephen King
By Bill Rankin, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 8/17/2011
http://tinyurl.com/3hcz263

"An Atlanta judge has thrown out a lawsuit that claimed author Stephen
King stole another writer's ideas for the best-selling 2008 novel "Duma
Key."

----------------
China Shutters 22 Imitation Apple Stores in Copyright Crackdown
By Taylor Hatmaker, tecca.com, 8/17/2011
http://tinyurl.com/3fevw3r

"We knew there were a handful of imitation Apple Stores in China, but we
didn't know there were quite so many. After a blogger discovered three
seemingly legitimate Apple Stores in her neighborhood in Kunming, Apple
launched an investigation into the stores, some of which are total
replicas of official Apple storefronts, Genius Bars and all."

----------------
Tablets Pose Jobs, Copyright Fears
Bangkok Post, 8/17/2011
http://tinyurl.com/3c78n7y

"Plans to purchase tablet computers for primary school students will
have sweeping effects on the textbook publishing industry, while
increasing the potential for copyright theft, publishers say."

Katrina Rowe, Graduate Assistant
Center for Intellectual Property
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Blvd. East, Largo
Adelphi, MD 20783
Phone: 240-684-2967
Fax:   240-684-2961