RE: fair use of psychological scales

Subject: RE: fair use of psychological scales
From: "Davis, Rick K." <rkDavis@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:53:42 +0000
It's also possible that the researcher's friend who paid for the use of the
scales previously agreed as part of that purchase to some fine print "terms of
use" that prohibited further reproduction. If so, it's a matter of state
contract law and fair use will not be a viable defense.

Another important consideration with forms are the issues raised in Baker v.
Selden, 101 U.S. 99 (1879). A form or a method can't be copyrighted, though it
might be protected by patent. Only a particular *expression* of a form or
method can be copyrighted. This might not help in this case, since the
researchers, I assume, want to use not just Beck's forms, but his expression
included on those forms.

Here's something else from the Wikipedia article on the Beck Depression
Inventory (BDI):

"The BDI is copyrighted, a fee must be paid for each copy used, and
photocopying it is a violation of copyright. There is no evidence that the
BDI-II is more valid or reliable than other depression scales,[20] and public
domain scales such as the Patient Health Questionnaire - Nine Item (PHQ-9) has
been studied as a useful tool."

Perhaps the researchers could use this public domain scale instead, assuming
it's a reasonable alternative and they don't want to hassle with permissions
for the Beck scales?

Rick