RE: Copyright - copying for preservation?

Subject: RE: Copyright - copying for preservation?
From: Kevin Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 15:18:50 +0000
"Library" is not a defined term in the U.S. Copyright Act, but section 108
does qualify the term a little bit when it states as a general requirement for
using the exceptions in that section that "the collections of the library or
archives are (i) open to the public, or (ii) available not only to researchers
affiliated with the library or archives or with the institution of which it is
a part, but also to other persons doing research in a specialized field."
Seems to me that this condition might bear on whether or not an "informal
departmental library" is entitled to rely on the rights outlined in 108 or
not.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communications
Duke University, Perkins Library