Academic and Research Librarians' Fair Use Code is LIVE TODAY

Subject: Academic and Research Librarians' Fair Use Code is LIVE TODAY
From: Brandon Butler <brandon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:14:21 -0500
All,

With apologies for cross-posting, I wanted to share the very exciting news
that as of this morning, academic and research libraries have their very
own Code of Best Practices in Fair Use! You can read it, and lots of
supporting material, here: http://www.arl.org/fairuse

After two years of painstaking (and really fun!) work learning from
librarians about the challenges they face and the fair use solutions they
favor, we are proud to release a Code that synthesizes all that info into
one simple, readable, flexible document that we hope will help academic and
research librarians move forward with important work with a little more
courage and conviction than might have been possible yesterday.

As with all these Best Practices projects, this wouldn't have been possible
without help from Pat Aufderheide and Peter Jaszi from American University
- two scholars who have really made a huge difference in the way ordinary
communities apply fair use. Not only did we rely on their pathbreaking
work, but we were lucky enough to have them work with us hands on to
develop this code and to promote it. And it wouldn't have been possible
without generous support in the form of a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation.

Anyway, this isn't an Oscar speech. Now that you know basically who did
this, how, and why, go read it (arl.org/fairuse!). Tweet about it with
hashtag #librarianscode. And see my little blog post about it at our blog,
http://policynotes.arl.org.

Best,
Brandon
Brandon Butler | Director of Public Policy Initiatives | Association of
Research Libraries | brandon@xxxxxxx | @ARLpolicy | w: 202.296.2296 x156 |
m: 202.684.6030 | 21 Dupont Circle, DC