RE: Copyright, for-profit educational institutions, and distance education

Subject: RE: Copyright, for-profit educational institutions, and distance education
From: Kevin Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 18:25:04 +0000
Janet,

That is, of course, the key question.  We have seen courts stretch the
definition of transformative pretty far in some cases, where they clearly
wanted to find fair use and believed that they must find transformativeness in
order to rule in favor of fair use.  Personally, I wish we could go back to
the Campbell case, where the Supreme Court explicitly said that a finding of
transformativeness was not a sine qua non for fair use, and even mentioned
copying for teaching as the prime example of a practice that could be fair use
without having to be transformative.  Of course, that argument would be
significantly harder for a for-profit.

Kevin