[digital-copyright] RE: Call Me Maybe video with faculty

Subject: [digital-copyright] RE: Call Me Maybe video with faculty
From: Charles Wiggins <cpwiggins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:39:08 +0000
Ms. Funke,

Section B'106<http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#106> is quite clear that the creator retains all public performance rights, and section B'101<http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#101> defines "To perform or display a work 'publicly'" as:

(1) to perform or display it at a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered; or

(2) to transmit or otherwise communicate a performance or display of the work to a place specified by clause (1) or to the public, by means of any device or process, whether the members of the public capable of receiving the performance or display receive it in the same place or in separate places and at the same time or at different times.

Since it is not part of classroom instruction I donbt know of any educational exception beyond Fair Use that would apply, but someone else may be able to elucidate that point. I would need to know a bit more about the nature of the in-service function and the use to do a Fair Use analysis<http://www.isothermal.edu/library/images/ICCFairUseChecklist.pdf>, but you could do that. The safest road is always taking the time to get permission IN WRITNG.

I hope this helps in your decision-making process.

Charles
Charles P. Wiggins, Director of Library Services
Isothermal Community College
P.O. Box 804
Spindale, NC 28160
828b395-1306