[digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?

Subject: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?
From: "Peter B. Hirtle" <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:43:37 +0000
Look at the terms of use for the streaming video services and tell me how
classroom use could possibly be authorized since the license is for private
use.  Here is the text from Amazon's
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200026970):

Amazon grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable,
limited right and license, during the applicable Viewing Period, to access,
view, use and display the Digital Content in accordance with the Usage Rules,
for Non-Commercial, Private Use. As used herein, "Non-Commercial, Private Use"
means a presentation of Digital Content for which no fee or consideration of
any kind (other than that which you pay to us to view the Digital Content) is
charged or received, which takes place in your private home or apartment or,
if outside your private home or apartment (e.g., in a hotel room, dorm room,
office, or airport waiting lounge) is limited to a private viewing for you and
your invitees. Non-Commercial, Private Use specifically excludes any public
presentation (e.g., a presentation in a dorm lounge) and any presentation by a
place of public accommodation or other commercial establishment (e.g., a bar
or restaurant), even if no fee is charged for viewing the Digital Content.

As our students who wished to share music learned the hard way, just because
something is easy to do technically does not make it automatically legal.

Peter Hirtle