A few threads (was Re: [stella] POLL)

Subject: A few threads (was Re: [stella] POLL)
From: slapdash@xxxxxxxxxx (Russ Perry Jr)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 21:25:48 -0600
Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Adam Gurno <gurnoab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Just a question here: why does everyone insist on going the cart route?

My problem with tapes is that they aren't very durable compared to carts or
CDs.  There's also a sort of intangible thing that makes carts more interesting
to me than tapes, disks, CDs, or even cards.

>If it MUST be a physical audio medium, CDs are best.  Then when you do your
>Lode Runner clone, you can have 99 loads.

I second this!

Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Before long, one or more of us will yearn to break free of the 4k or 6k
>barrier.  Unless someone can design an 8K Supercharger.  An 8K Supercharger
>would be wicked beyond recognition.

As Glenn noted, there is no reason to stop at 8K.  Boost that up to 128K
(to play ANY 2600 game), and hell, throw in an extra processor to do the real
game work while the 6502 does nothing but screen updates.  And no, I'm not
the first to think of this.  There was a 64K unit that almost made it to
production!

Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Also, I didn't see a response from Russ Perry or Glenn Bussell who were
>chatting about a 2600 version of Daleks a few months ago.  I was just
>yesterday thinking about the memory shortage problems with that one...
>Either of you guys still planning on doing that?

Well, "thinking about" is more accurate than "planning on".  I still have
lots of paper notes on that subject, and lots of the email from the list
with all the ideas we bandied about.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able
to sit down and think about all the ideas or play with the CD and all the
samples people have posted.

I'd love to hear any new ideas about memory!

For what it's worth, my response to the poll would be that I'm Willing To
Learn/Beginner at 6502 (lots of assembly in college, but not 6502
specifically), and Willing To Learn at 2600 (have lots of stuff I've read,
but no practical experience).  Daleks is the game I'd like to do, hopefully
in 4K (both cart and Supercharger compatible), with no upper limit on
levels but what the system can handle.  So far, no time at all to work on
it.  And extra hours, or money without working would help prod me.  Seems
to be the most common response :)

||  Russ Perry Jr    1750 Lombard Ave #7    Oshkosh WI 54901-4135  ||
||  414-232-8246     slapdash@xxxxxxxxxx     VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||