Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 01:31:12 -0700 (MST)
>Yep, that I've got... and I've got some nice 6502 reference material to
>help refresh me for any areas I've forgotten (been well over a decade since
>I did any programming).
>
>It's this whole "one scan line at a time" thing that's throwing me for a loop.
>It just completely boggles my mind. What demon from the depths of hell designed
>such a machine?

Someone who realized that there was no way in Hell they could release a machine
with DMA and other niceties for under $200 in 1977.  Yet, there are several
ways in Hell to get two tanks, a hungry yellow circle, four flickery ghosts,
an archeologist in a blue shirt, a jaywalking frog, a few cars, a few
spaceships, and a few numbers to show up on a machine that had a 1D graphics
chip.

But then again, three years later Sir Clive Sinclair released a (sort-of)
home computer for $99.  But nobody made Pac-Man for it.

But here's a tip to help ease your mind.  The early Atari standard wasn't
"one scan line at a time".  It was "two scan lines at a time".  To leave
more time for calculations.

Hope this helps.