Re: [stella] Color bar generator

Subject: Re: [stella] Color bar generator
From: crackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 01:27:09 -0500 (EST)
In article <3.0.1.32.19970318111603.006a4630@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:
>How difficult is it to write an actually useful color bar generator for the
>2600?  Does the existing CBG program do horizontal instead of vertical bars
>(this would be a lot easier)?
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Well the Colour Bar Test Cartridge does veritcal bars. It also does diagnostic
test patterns.

Writting a programme to draw horizontal colour bars would be a piece of cake.
But vertical bars is a bit more difficult because you have to change the
the playfield graphics registers in mid scan line.

Does anyone know what the pixels:cycles ratio for playfield graphics is?
Could you time it to change the graphic's colour register in mid-pixel to
get a higher resolution, or would it not accept the change until it finishes
the current pixel?

I can't wait for April 19th! I'll be done school and able to spend more time
programming the 2600! WOOHOO!!!!!

Mucking around with the playfield graphics gave me some game ideas too.

                                   CRACKERS
                            (study time from hell!!!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ad329/Profile.html  | \^^/

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/