[stella] archiving binaries and filenaming conventions

Subject: [stella] archiving binaries and filenaming conventions
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:14:35 +0500
Unless there are any objections, I'd like to suggest that all future posts of
binaries ".BIN format" be sent uncompressed, not zipped.  I think it's more
convenient to download a full 4K .BIN and then extract it directly from mail
than it is to have to make the extra step of unzipping the file.

I think source code should also be sent uncompressed, either as an attachment,
or more conveniently as part of the main body of the message itself so we can
study it.

We're just not talking about file sizes large enough to worry about, nor are
we getting binary and source posts at such a constant clip that it's bogging
things down.

Also, please make sure you give your programs an original name.  Piero named
his file 2600.bin, which I guess is the default of bin2tape, but we need a way
to distinguish even between these demo files.  Please try to give your files
distinctive names not likely to be chosen by others.  I don't know about
others, but I am archiving these demo and test programs and therefore it's
useful for everyone to know the "standardized" name of them.  Also, if your
program goes through several revisions, please change the filename to reflect
the revision.  That way older versions can be preserved and identified.

--Glenn

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/