Re: [stella] Supercharger internals...

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger internals...
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 23:09:56 +0200
>> > All the dicussions of the Supercharger have been good so far, but what
happens here:

>> > F000  ldx #$3f
>> > F002  cmp $f000,x   ;Write data = $3f
>> > F005  NOP
>> > F006  lda $ff7b     ;Write $3f to $f7b
>> >
>> > Wouldn't the SC see the opcode fetch from address F002 as Write data =
$02 and the start of a ram write?

>> Humm... good question..  I'd say it works like this:
>>
>>   cycle    action
>>    0       load opcode for ldx from location f000
>>            write value is set to 00 (since we are accessing f000)
>>    1       load operand from f001 (3f)
>>
>>    2       load opcode from f002 for cmp
>>    3       load low byte 00 from f003
>>    4       load high byte f0 from f004, add x to low byte
>>    5       load operand from f03f
>>
>>    6       load opcode from f005 for nop
>>    7       do something but nothing ...
>>
>> So I would say a poke(f03f,00) at cycle 5 or poke(f005,00) at cycle 6
>> occurs.
>
>I believe the piece of code I gave is a valid SC RAM write, I am assuming
that it will write $3F to $f7b. I am working under the assumption that RAM
writes work the same if the are executing in the $f000-$f0ff range as any
other location. I may be incorrect in this assumption.

I have just tried it out with a little demo program. The values were a little
different, but the code was located at $F000 also. What the program did was
poke(F03F,04). When I moved the code to $F001 it did poke(F03F,05).

In my code there was a RTS after the LDA $ff7b and the code was jumped to
with a JSR $F000/JSR $F001, if this helps understanding it's behaviour.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/