Re: [stella] Game update: PCMSG 2.2

Subject: Re: [stella] Game update: PCMSG 2.2
From: Lee Seitz <lkseitz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:07:46 -0500 (CDT)
Piero Cavina boldly stated:

>- gameplay is still far from clear. It might become a "collecting+shooting"
>type of game, or maybe a "defending+shooting", or "shoot them before they
>build something"... who knows. Your advices are always welcome.

I finally had a chance to play it for a few minutes.  I like this
revision better than 2.1, but I still prefer the original, Kool-Aid
Man-like game.  I thought it was more original than the current
shooter-type game.

If you want it to be a shooter, though, I agree that there are
currently too many enemies.  If 2.2 leads to the final game, you
should start with few enemies and have them get more plentiful and
faster gradually.  I'd also recomment waves of enemies so the player
has some sense of satisfaction at surviving another wave.

For some reason, this bizarre though occurred ot me while I was
writing this message.  Has anyone considered trying to port Toobin' to
the 2600?  I see the joystick translating like this:

   Down = two forward buttons (forward)
   Left = forward left & back right buttons (turn left)
   Right = forward right  & back left buttons (turn right)
   Up = two back buttons (back)

The player would have to rapidly tap the joystick in the direction he
wanted to go.  Unfortunately, players 1 & 2 and their missiles are
used by two players, so it might be difficult to do the enemies/prizes
plus the river landscape as playfield.  A one player version might be
easier.

--
   Lee K. Seitz * lkseitz@xxxxxxxxxx * http://fly.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/
Classic Video Games Nexus Maintainer (fly.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/cvg/nexus/)