Re: [stella] Over-clocking the 2600

Subject: Re: [stella] Over-clocking the 2600
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 20:47:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 Fxites@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Is it possible to over-clock the 2600? Has anyone had any interesting or even
> favorable results? Are there any FAQs or notes lying about on the 'net that I
> could read?

I heard that the TIA chip can be fed at 1.79mhz and that by doing so you
allow higher playfield resolution and possibly other benefits.  Supposedly
the TIA chip itself runs at 1.79mhz.

This was from Jerry Jessop who said that at one time a hybrid system
containing a 1.79mhz 6502C, TIA, and GTIA (no Antic) was considered as a
backwards compatible followup to the 2600.

It might be interesting to see if 2600 mode can be enabled on an Atari
7800 without the 6502C dropping to 1.19mhz, let alone maintaining access
to the fast 4K internal RAM.  It might then open up a whole new category
of "2600+" games.

> Oh, while I'm at it, where can I find the Stella FAQ?

Do you mean the Cyberpunks FAQ?  It is being updated and is located on
Nick Bensema's site:

http://www.primenet.com/~nickb/cybpunks.txt

I just gave it a major overhaul, reorganizing it to conform to standard
FAQ style.