[stella] 2600 Digital Clock (Demo 3)

Subject: [stella] 2600 Digital Clock (Demo 3)
From: CRACKERS <crackers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 17:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

Okay gang, I think I got it nailed this time. Rather than mucking around
trying to figure out what exactly was causing the clock to lose a second
every minute and a minute ever hour I decided to employ the
"Bigger Hammer" method (when something doesn't work, hit it with a bigger
hammer).

I was on the right trail last night but I'd made a stupid mistake. Since
it was losing a second every minute, when the minute counter changed I
just did a DEC SECS to gain a second at the begining of the minute.
Should have worked but it didn't. I took another look at it this morning
and discovered why, I did the DEC SECS right after the STA MINS when it
should have been before so as not to confuse the BEQ.

Fixed that and tried it out and the clock was much more accurate. However,
I noticed that it then gained a second every hour. No problem, "Bigger
Hammer" time again. did an INC SECS every time the hour changed. So far
so good. It might gain or drop a second every 60 hours now, but I've had
pocket watched that kept poorer time so I can live with this.

So here is the third incarnation of my clock programme. Everyone is
welcome to employ and distribute this clock as they wish. And when I get
more time, after my V-pet is finished, I'll see if I can't make a fancier
clock out of this, but for now it's good enough for my virtual pet
programme.

                                  CRACKEERS
                     (Whew! Glad that's overwith from hell!!)