RE: [stella] Inty stuff, was 7800 thanks

Subject: RE: [stella] Inty stuff, was 7800 thanks
From: Frank Palazzolo <palazzol@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 18:13:49 -0500

>Do you think one could use the 2600 supercharger as a starting point,
>adapting the cartridge port and, of course, the ROM?

>Or, does the Intellivision take cartridges of more than 4k banks?

Two problems with that approach, unfortunately.  The weird,
non-standard roms that the intellivision use data words that are
10-bits wide, instead of 8 (although they could be up to 16 bits).

The second problem is that the ROMS do the address decoding. This
means that you can map the cartridge ROMS into any available space
in the memory map you want.  Therefore, they could be take up to
>50K, without bank switching, although I bet most were 4K or 8K.
Different cart's show up in different spots in the memory map.

My initial plan is to use 64K x 16 bits of RAM.  This would be a bit
wasteful, since I only need 10 bits of any word.  However, I was going
to use one more bit at each address to determine whether or not the
address shows up in the memory map.  This would be very flexible and
could probably handle any cart image.

I would, however, like to "copy" some of the audio circuitry from
the Supercharger.  This way, at least a future version of makewav
could be written to support the Intellivision images.

-Frank Palazzolo

palazzol@xxxxxxx