Re: [stella] IEEE Specrum

Subject: Re: [stella] IEEE Specrum
From: Andy Clayton <aclayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:30:01 -0800 (PST)
> Let's break the silence... :-)
>
> I've finally obtained a copy of the March 1983 IEEE Spectrum article on the
> Atari VCS. Thanks! ;)
>
> First of all, I must say that it's a very interesting article, and any 2600
> enthusiast would love to read it.
>
> Finally, I was wondering if IEEE would let us type and distribute the
> article for free.. after all, it's an old article without many technical
> details. Who knows...

I also found a copy of the article, and I agree that everyone on this list
will think it's exteremely interesting.

So I typed it all in, and drew some of the diagrams in because I can't get
access to the original article and a scanner at the same time..

I will go ahead and risk the wrath of IEEE, and make it available on my
web page:

http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~aclayton

I haven't had a chance to format it or put any of the diagrams in, but the
text is there, and I encourage everyone to check it out.  There are
interviews with hardware designers, software designers, a technical
comparison between the 2600, Coleco, Intv, and O^2, and even the origin of
the name Stella!  I think the article is a real treasure, especially for
people interested in programming it..

(p.s. if anyone can scan the original diagrams in, let me know and I'll
try to incorporate those instead of my diagrams)

Thanks, and happy reading!
Andy