Re: [stella] Technologies

Subject: Re: [stella] Technologies
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:05:44 -0800
Robert A. Colbert wrote:

> >Dark Mage utilizes SC bank-switching, but does not use RAM.  I've not
> >been able to successfully use SC RAM at all yet.  It always crashes.
>
> Check the source code for Stell-A-Sketch - there is a nifty little >routine I have in there to move a chunk of memory.  Feel free to use >it, but be warned that moving a chunk of memory is time consuming :)

Yeah, I'm already pretty familiar with that routine ;)  The problem is
not writing RAM access stuff, but re-writing all the *other* stuff I
have that inadvertently causes the game to immediately go wonky as soon
as I merely enable write in the control byte of my WAV file... I haven't
had an overwhelming need to use RAM that has gotten me to the point
where I spend the many excrutiating hours re-writing a lot very touchy
code...  The 12 character display in Dark Mage, for example uses a STA.W
extended mode write to zero page for cycle timing purposes... RESCUE has
a ton of that sort of thing.  What I really need is more ROM ;)   I know
I can write bank-switching code for either the SC or a standard hardware
decode, but I'd like to pack as much as I can into 4K before going that
route.  I still have mild hopes that a complete and slick version of
RESCUE will fit...

One 4K game that I've played a bit of recently that is very impressive,
IMO, is Activision's Spider Fighter.  That game puts a lot of single
scanline, fast moving, animated stuff on screen without any flicker.
The trick they use is to have one free-moving sprite teamed up with 4
pseudo-free-moving sprites that actually jiggle in horizontal ranges to
give a high-speed illusion that 5 enemies are flying around freely. Some
amazing code that I can't quite figure out, starting right at $F000,
allows all that, plus bunch of missiles to fly as well... Very nice.  I
think I should be able to do a decent version of RESCUE in 4K
considering that game as a sort of similar precedent.

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/