[stella] Jumpbean Questions

Subject: [stella] Jumpbean Questions
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 97 20:45:03 -0500
>How about just describing in more detail how you'd like your game to
>work, and maybe we can offer some specific advice?

Well, mine's really not too tough.  I'm doing a Jumpman clone, more or
less.  RIght now I'm just keeping the "Jumpman-sprite" (which is a
Mexican jumping bean for now) eight or nine bits high and placing the
blocks that he's trying to collect at least 5 scan lines away from one
another (vertically) so that I only have to check the y-coordinate of my
player to determine which block it is with which he had collided.  The
blocks are drawn with a recycled player1.  Player1 is used exclusively
for the blocks so that there's no flicker.  The ball is doing duty as
that annoying little speck that shoots at you periodically, and I'd like
to figure out some way to use the missiles for that as well.

I'd rather not check for collisions while drawing the playfield at the
outset, since I want that time in case I put in some pretty fancy code to
draw moving platforms, etc.

I'm also real sketchy as to player positioning.  I haven't been able to
check anything out yet, since I haven't been able to find a usable
program to assemble my code on my PowerMac to use with Stella, nor do I
have the dough to shell out for VirtualPC.  (I do have a wonderful C=64
emu now, Power64, so if anyone could help me assemble Playbin, I could
probably at least tape that coming out of my speaker and try it on my
Supercharger)

As I understand it, I don't have to worry about the x-coordinate of the
player.  I just set HMOVE like I like it, and he'll wrap around the edges
if he goes there.  If I want to move the player vertically, I just reset
the player on a different line, correct?  Will the machine keep his
horizontal position the same?

I've looked at some dissembled code (eg, Freeway and Pac Man), but boy
that's a mess to jump into with both feet.  If anyone has some small
excerpts at which I could take a gander (a gander?!!), that'd be great!

Thanks tons,

Ruffin Bailey
rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxx