Re: [stella] Playbin 2.5

Subject: Re: [stella] Playbin 2.5
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 15:06:27 -0500
Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> Anybody using the Playbin ultility on a 64 to make a SC game?  How is it
> going?  What's your opinion about it as a utility?

I am :)  It's going well, and I think it's a great utility :)

Actually, I don't know of anyone else actually using it
to develop games, just a few who are using it to play
.bin's that they find on the Internet.  If anyone is using
it, let me know!  I know a dozen or so have downloaded it
from my web page, but I haven't heard from any of them.

Basically, it just does its job - takes a range of memory
in the C64, and plays it out as audio that the SC can
understand.  It seems to handle the various file sizes
that makewav handles, but again, I'd like to hear some
bug reports.

My game is currently looking a bit like an overhead driving
game, perhaps a bit like Bump&Jump, or Spy Hunter or something.
Really, I'm just learning the A2600, but it's easy enough
to get something going on it.  The tricky part is getting
a kernal that updates the background, and moves objects,
etc. etc. etc... within the time available.  Now I see why
many games only updated every second line.
--
Robin Harbron  <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth