RE: [stella] #of gates in TIA chip

Subject: RE: [stella] #of gates in TIA chip
From: Frank Palazzolo <palazzol@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 06:48:10 -0500
>Clarification: There are approximately 5,000 gates in the TIA chip, not
>40,000.  The design was laid out on large multicolor plotters and there
>were also plastic sheets that looked like negatives that were probably
>used in the chip manufacturing process.  We tried using one of these
>chip-plots as a backdrop for the documentary but video could not pick up
>the detail at all.

Just out of curiousity - since you mentioned the chip-plots
for the TIA, did you ever run across the schematics for the
TIA?  Besides being interesting to look at, it would:

A) Be valuable as a reference for emulator writers
B) Allow someone else to clone the chip someday, using '90s
technology - complete with all quirks of the original.
C) Illuminate the reasons for some of the quirk's - like the
"Cosmic Ark" Stars effect.
D) Possibly uncover other quirks/features, which may yet lie
undiscovered, to be used in new games :)

Thanks,
-Frank Palazzolo

palazzol@xxxxxxx