[stella] Sourcecode transcription

Subject: [stella] Sourcecode transcription
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 02:04:16 -0800 (PST)
I am not against taking liberties with copyright where sourcecode is
concerned because it is in our best interest to study these games and
because this source was given to me personally by the actual programmers.

I have the official printed sourcecode to Bob Smith's games:

Star Voyager
Dragonfire
Riddle of the Sphinx
Moonsweeper (8K)
Star Wars:TAG (8K)

And the crowning technical acheivement on the VCS:

Doug Neubauer's Solars (16K).

Bob's source is on loan.  Doug's printout was given to me but it is a very
faint dot matrix printout which really needs to be transcribed before it
fades away.  He's got a copy of the source on IBM floppy but will not
share it with me because despite owning the copyright, he's afraid that
JTS-Atari would protest.

I'm throwing this out to the list in the hopes of finding someone I CAN
TRUST to take these printouts and make an error-free transcription of
them, adjusting syntax as you go along so that it can be re-assembled with
the current VCS assembler of choice: DASM.  I need to get Bob's source
back in my hands in one piece within a reasonable timeframe (3 months or
so) so I can get it back to him.

The source would then be free to distribute as you see fit (at your own
risk of course--I disavow everything despite being an accessory).

There are routines here that deserve to be studied and cloned including:

Dragonfire's 4-char single-line-res kernel
SW:TAG sprite sharing routines
Solaris sprite sharing and color change routines
Solaris 3D scrolling algorithm
Solaris galactic map display

If I had the time, I'd type it in, but I'm too busy with the documentary.
It's all dot matrix so unfortunately it probably won't OCR.

If you'd like to volunteer, let me know.

This is COMMENTED source code from the original authors.  It's much better
than a raw disassembly.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--      ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxx homepage http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page http://www.primenet.com/~krishna                ==
== TV Commercials page http://www.lawguru.com/production/production.html==