Re: [stella] Piracy

Subject: Re: [stella] Piracy
From: "Beruche" <beruche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:37:59 -0800
>>New levels for Adventure.
>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
^~

>Yeah, that was something I considered too. Making multi-load mods of
>Adventure with different levels. But I think I might just make a whole new
>Adventure-like game from scrap. Mostly because there are certain tricks
known
>now that would improve the graphics of the game that wern't employed in
>the original. (Things like Bob's multi-sprite routines to minimize
flickering)

I must be one of the few left fighting with the original Adventure, let
alone Indenture or any types of new levels.. I feel so dumb; I'm being
outsmarted by a game that's the same age as me... ¬.¬ Then again, I finally
beat Pitfall II last weekend, so *shrug*. It would be very neat to see
another Adventure thing though, for sure! It's one of those things what you
can't get sick of...

>I was also thinking of hacking the word data in Hangman (and the graphics
>to make it an actual hanged man instead of a swinging monkey) but lost
>interest in that when I relized the end results wouldn't be much fun for me
>since I'd know what all the words are. Theme versions of the game might
>be fun too.

Still haven't tried Hangman... *glances over at his carts...* Today,
today...

>Of course I probably won't be doing much of anything until I finish that
damn
>V-Pet. If I could get a good solid 4-days of uninterupted free time I could
>wrap it up easily. I've kind of lost my passion for the V-Pet a bit.
>After extensively playing with a real V-pet to research their workings
>I've come to the personal conclusion that V-pets are one of those things
>that are cute at first, but become annoying very quickly.

I used to absolutely love my Tamagotchi; it was cute, it kept me busy, was
soemthing to talk about, a few prerequisite beeps to remind me of the
Atari.... things were grand. Also let me know where my keys are. Then one
morning it woke me up at 6am on a Saturday after watching movies all
night... it became not-so-cute... it's battery "mysteriously" died, and I
never bothered to replace it... Well actually I did; replaced the Tamagotchi
with a japanese Space Invaders keychain. ^^

>It's bad enough having to change my daughter's diapers several times a day
>without having to clean up virtual poop as well. ;)

Lucky for me, fatherhood's YEARS away... if how I treated my Tamagotchi is
an indicator, good thing too ^^;

>I had some time off during the holidays and had it all set aside to do
>some 2600 programming... but wouldn't you know it, I caught the flu!
>Arrrgh!!! Maybe I'll get my wife to take the kids to visit one of her
>relatives during reading week and I'll be able to put this project to rest
>and get on with one of my more ambitious projects.

My project, once the Blue Sky Rangers finally releases that Intellivision
CD, is to take that crappy football part from Sharp Shot... rip it right
out, make it self-dependant, and add bits here and there to it; turn it into
IIFL Malibu Blondes Football '78, based on my e-football team.
(www.concentric.net/~Beruche/blondes/ for those of you sick enough to even
bother ^^;

I would try ripping apart RealSports - Football for it, but I dunno how...
I'm still *VERY* new at this, plus I'd rather make an Intellivision version
first... maybe I can port it if I get anywhere close to good enough :D

And so my ramblings have ANY usage on this: I admit I have all the .bins
zipped. And I still have a cart collection of over 200.. and growing
rapidly... the only reasons I have the .bins in the first place is to see
stuff like Polo and SQ:WW and CtCW and see how eternally crappy they are,
and to give to people to try out so they don't pronounce me totally nuts
when I tell them I collect Atari stuff. I have actually spawned a few
collectors from doing this. (Away from my range of thrifts and contacts, of
course ^^) I hardly touch them otherwise other than try-before-you-buy; it
just lacks something...

And one final point: I would absolutely die for a Supercharger and tapes
like Space Commies from Outer Space and the Dragon one... sad thing is
though is you can't find them; especially around here... unlike the
beforementioned bits, the Supercharger things are great games, but sadly
unavailable to 99.9% of the collecting community.. *sigh* c'est la vie I
guess... I gotta do me some hunting again...

--
Ryan Allan