Re: [stella] 16K cartridge boards

Subject: Re: [stella] 16K cartridge boards
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 15:00:49 -0800 (PST)
> What the hell is a "casual pirate"? :)
>
> Seriously, though... There is no casual piracy. The only people who it
> will stop are the clueless pirates and people trying to learn who don't
> have all the fancy equipment (like myself).

I consider a casual pirate to have the means to copy things, but not really
understand how to create them in the first place.  A not-so-casual pirate
would be the type of person who has a hacker's abilities to wade through
code and hardware, but not the ethical code associated with a true hacker.

My personal opinion is that most pirates today could pretty easily copy a
.bin file, and then take that to a friend who has a burner.  Fewer of them
have the equipment to actually make the cartridges.  Fewer still have the
equipment and/or knowledge to do a hardware intercept/debug coupled with
eating ML code for breakfast.

-Chris