Re: [stella] Megacart Specs

Subject: Re: [stella] Megacart Specs
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 13:33:04 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Chris Wilkson wrote:
> RAM (see below).  You could use 3K blocks for ROM and permently map RAM
> into the remaining 1K, but that either wastes ROM space or the decoding
> gets nasty from a hardware point of view.

Small games, okay, but it just seems that if you've written a game that
uses the full 128K of ROM code (a huge kernel and tons of date) and you
have only 1K linear ROM available at a time that the programmer is going
to have to bank switch constantly to get anything done.  The percetage of
bankswitching code to useful code is starting to get really wasteful.

After you load the 1K chunks, can you run a program linearly across the
loaded banks without bit-twiddling?  If so, then it's not too bad because
you could write code as de-facto 3K chunks and then swap three banks in
and out that way but I don't know why a program would need to be broken
down into even small chunks.