Re: [stella] Alfred's Challenge?

Subject: Re: [stella] Alfred's Challenge?
From: jeffgamer@xxxxxxxxxxxx (jeff rothkopf)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:45:12 -0400 (EDT)
>The website for the World of Atari 98 meeting list in the
>events section that a French programmer will be selling
>his new game for the VCS, Alfred's Challenge.
>
>Does anyone know who this guy is and what his game is like?

Yes, I picked up an advance copy of the game from him.  It's sort of like a
Miner 2049er-type platform game.  The goal of the game is to race around
the screen, finding "keys" that open up walls/doors that were blocking your
path to other parts of the screen.  Once you've obtained all the keys, you
climb to the top of the screen, where there's a ladder waiting to take you
to the next level.  It has three different screens in regular-play mode
(plus a rumored fourth Easter-Egg level that I haven't located  yet), and
if you solve all three of them the circuit repeats but with much faster
speeds.  The goal is not to amass points...you don't earn any in the
game...but rather to get your rear into gear, inasmuh as there's barely
enough time to solve each puzzle and if the timer hits zero, your game is
finito...!  It has a certain addictive quality to it..."DARN!  I was almost
there...I gotta try again so I can reach...that...LEVEL...!"

IMPORTANT:  Due to fairly heavy off-line work, hard drive crash, and
settling-into-the-new-house demands, I may still experience some delays in
responding to e-mail messages.  Feel free to send me gentle reminder
messages if you don't hear back from me after a couple of days, or even to
phone me if you feel the need...my phone number is below.

*** Screenwriter, Songwriter, Playwright, Novelist
*** Tutor for SAT, GRE, LSAT, GMAT, SSAT, PSAT, TOEFL, English, Grammar,
    Writing, History, Algebra, Geometry, Statistics, Science, Psychology
    Study Skills
*** Psychologist (Ph.D from the University of Miami).
*** Professor at Miami-Dade Community College
*** Collector of Atari 2600, 5200, 7800; Colecovision; Intellivision; Odyssey;
    Microvision; Adventurevision; Virtual Boy; & Vectrex.  Also collect many
    other classic videogame and 8-bit computer systems, carts, and
    peripherals, such as Bally or Texas Instruments TI99, pong units, Atari
    Video Music, video game-related magazines and boxes, plus some handhelds.
    Will buy and trade items.  Will also sell some of my extras.

=== Jeffrey S. Rothkopf, 305-378-6133