Re: [stella] some more optimization tips

Subject: Re: [stella] some more optimization tips
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 11:27:35 +1000
>Well, you can't use those two when the stack is pointing at one of the TIA
>registers, as is done in some kernels.  My usual compact delay is INC
>zeropage - two bytes for five cycles.

Trying to figure what advantage there is to pointing the stack at the TIA?
Sure you get a single byte code-size write capability (at the cost of the
stack pointer stave/restore, wrapping your accesses to the TIA, and an index
register or variable to store the stack pointer).

Sure, you can do your writes with a PHA (3 cycles, 1 byte)
But... how does it improve on a STA register?        (3 cycles, 2 bytes)
You gotta be real short of space and do a lot of register writes for this to
make an improvement... or am I missing something?