Re: [stella] Optimize THIS! :)

Subject: Re: [stella] Optimize THIS! :)
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:04:14 +1000
Last night I posted Bob my stab at optimisation.
I disagree with him when he says...

>.... I don't think another algorithm would save much time.  Now

A change in algorithm is the FIRST thing I'd suggest!  When something's
running slow, have a think about your method, way before you have a think
about your coding!  I've ended up with a sorted list of indexes to the
objects in something approximating 300 cycles and around 107 bytes.  Cycle
counting my code is very difficult, and besides its early and I don't do
mornings.  Don't be disillusioned if you can't match that, because I'm
probably wrong :)

My submission to Bob was private in order that I didn't ... uh...
"influence" anyone else's solution - but I will be happy to post privately
to any non-competing interested party.  I expect to post my solution on the
list when Bob announces the "winner".

My code was a paper-solution, rather than a tested one.  So, all the usual
disclaimers and provisos apply.

Cheers