Re: [stella] Demo #1 of my 4 colour playfield game "PUSH"

Subject: Re: [stella] Demo #1 of my 4 colour playfield game "PUSH"
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 07:07:08 +1000
>>I must say, this assembler (DASM V2.02) is pathetic.
>
>I must beg to differ!  What don't you like about it?  I've been able to do
>everything I want using it.

OK, how about error messages which mean something!  I've often had to resort
to a binary comment-out-large-blocks-of-code search, just to find out what
the thing is complaining about.  An assembler should at least tell you what
labels it thinks are undefined.

Several times I've had it crash when trying to code a certain item.  I ended
up doing the code a different way so that the assembler wouldn't blow up.
Not good.

I appreciate this is a free thing, and really appreciate the efforts of
those who have worked on it.  You have to remember that I'd been a
commercial programmer used to superb in-house assemblers and linkers.  There
are many, many things I would like to do, but cannot... this assembler does
not support them.

The biggest bugbear at the moment is the poor error reporting.

Cheers