Re: [stella] playfield on-the-fly updates

Subject: Re: [stella] playfield on-the-fly updates
From: "José Carlos" <zezao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:42:21 -0300
Please, do not send me more msg!!!

Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

At 11:34 18.05.98 -0700, you wrote:
>Sounds like you have 2 clock cystals.  Could one be for SECAM? It's
>interesting to note that 3.54 is 80% of 4.43.  Sounds like it's a dual
>standard machine.  NTSC runs at 3.5795MHz.  Actually, if you use the the
>3.54MHz crystal, that's "close enough" to NTSC.  And if you use the 4.43MHz
>cystal, you can get 324 scanlines at 60Hz, or 388 scanlines at 50Hz.
>Sounds kinda "convenient" to me.  If anyone here has an extra PAL 2600 jr,
>and could send it to the states, I'd really like to disect one.

I don't think, that the second clock is for SECAM. SECAM uses
a completely diffent colour encoding scheme, so there wouldn't
be much use of a dual standard version, if you still have to
change parts. Also there would have to be a possibility to
set the standard to use, right? But the only thing adjustable
are these two screwlike parts, which I think are for something
else. There are two chrystals in my 6-switch model too, but
they are labeled with generic Atari part numbers, which don't
say anything about their speed.

BTW, if you pay for the shipping, you can have one of my
PAL 2600 jrs. for free. I don't know the exact prices, but
I think surface mail would be about $10 and airmail about
$17. Or you could trade it for a finished megacart and pay
no shipping. :-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg