Re: [stella] alt.atari.2600.programming - proposal

Subject: Re: [stella] alt.atari.2600.programming - proposal
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 23:18:12 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 30 May 1998, Andrew Davie wrote:
> Noting the absence of traffic on the above newsgroup, I thought it would be
> a good idea for items from the mailing list to be posted there, too.  Any
> objectors / volunteers?
> I think we could draw in one or two coding geniuses :)

The thing is, it's such a small club, I'd assume most anyone who wants to
program for the VCS has already subscribed, so why go elsewhere?  --and if
you go, you'll just bump into the same posters, so isn't it a duplication
of effort?

(I see the same phenomenon with the Video Toaster mailing list vs. the
newsgroup.)

Stella gains new subscribers at an average rate of 3-5 people a week and
has well over a hundred members.

I'm not sure where they are finding out about it, but the list has been
around long enough to gain a reputation, which is great.

I think a mailing list is well suited for this kind of niche
subjectmatter, and biglist's threaded HTML archive is very nice.  I don't
even have to archive Stella messages locally because of this.

If all news-servers carried the newsgroup I might be convinced to shut
down stella and encourage people to switch over, but until then, I'd
suggest people stay here for the sake of unifying the discussions.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--      ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page http://www.primenet.com/~krishna                ==