Re: [stella] First attempt at Atari 2600 programming

Subject: Re: [stella] First attempt at Atari 2600 programming
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:15:59 +0200
At 07:34 15.06.98 -0400, you wrote:

>I would like to hear comments on the small code I added, even thought it
>might be crappy...

There is nothing unusual in your sound routine. The slowdown must
have something to do with the fact, that PCAE has to trigger it's
sound setup routine a lot more often when you change AUDx values
in every scanline. Due to the fact, that PCAE has it's output
synced by frame and not by line, I don't think it would be able
to do sound effect like this anyway.

Your display routine does 256 scanlines, which is a bit to much for
NTSC TVs. You should add a CPY #192 before the BNE ScanLoop.

Also you save and restore the TIM value in the accumulator.
This value is always 0, when your routine is entered and
is never used afterwards. Therfore it is not nessesary to save
this value.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg