Re: About SHIPS.ASM (was: Re: [stella] Jim's heart wil

Subject: Re: About SHIPS.ASM (was: Re: [stella] Jim's heart wil
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:38:20 +0200
On Tue Jun 16 22:53:05 1998, Piero Cavina wrote:

>Nice effort, but I would arrange the whole thing in a different way. Sorry,
>but you'll have to change everything if you want to do it in this way...
>the meaning of the "sinking level" changes, and so the tables with the
>graphics etc. :-)
>But why should you change it...? Because there might be a moment when
>you'll be crying for processor cycles...

>; initialize Y and jump to kernel:, line2:, line3: or line4:
>; to enter the main loop according to the sinking level
>; if you don't enter the loop from kernel: you'll have to initialize the
>graphic registers too -
>; obviously, this is easier to say than to do :-)

>kernel:
> STA WSYNC
> LDA ForeColor,Y
> STA COLUPF
> LDA PF1Graphics,Y
> STA PF1
> LDA PF2Graphics,Y
> STA PF2
> (...you may put your code for sprites and missiles here...)

>line2:
> STA WSYNC
> (...even more cycles for your stuff here...)

>line3:
> STA WSYNC
> (...or here...remember that in the kernel, we're often preparing things in
>advance...)
> (...ie you might need to do some math here for use in the next scanline...)

>line4:
> STA WSYNC
> (...as above...)

> DEY  ; always try to count backwards
> BPL kernel ; or BMI-JMP if the branch comes to be out of range

Yes, I was afraid I'd have to rearrange it this way. The main reason for
this is that I'll have to sneak a HMOVE in there somewhere,
and it's obviously not going to be on the kernal: line, but could fit in
line2, line3 or line4. I think I'll probably change that as soon as I've
got sprites on these scanlines. The other question, then, is if it's
still possible to store the sprite patterns without having zeroes before
and after, or if I have to insert some zeroes to make up for the lines
before or after the HMOVE.

>Also, give a look at Fishing Derby for some cool water-surface effects...
>they wouldn't be out of place here.

I'll try... maybe for my third version. But the second one's already on
the run...

With love (and many things to rearrange)
Kurt Woloch