Re: [stella] RAM cart

Subject: Re: [stella] RAM cart
From: danboris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan Boris)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 07:42:59 -0400
> > DRAM or something, where it'd need a continuous power source (not that it'd
> > be a problem, just a little funny - a cartridge plugged into a wall wart),
> > or flash RAM?
>
> Using low power SRAM, only needs 3V, and almost no current to hold the
> data.  I'm just going to use a lithium cell to hold data when it is not
> plugged in. Heck, if I was using SRAM, I would just go out an by a surplus
> 8M for a couple bucks and simply store everything.  But that wouldn't be
> any fun :-)

Another option you might want to look at is the nonvoliatile SRAM modules that Dallas Semiconductor sells. They work exactly like normal SRAM chips, but they have thier own internal battery backup which makes them real easy to use. I just savaleged a bunch of them off some equipment we were getting rid of here at work, hope to put them to good use one of these days :)

Dan Boris