Re: [stella] Atari 7800

Subject: Re: [stella] Atari 7800
From: Bob Colbert <retroware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:36:14 -0600
At 03:16 PM 11/16/98 -0000, you wrote:
>Hi Matt,
>
>  >The Encryption does not have to cover the entire cart.  A Byte in the
top of
>  >the cart indicates what portion of the cart to use to generate the
>  >encryption check.  it can be as little as 4K....
>  >....Harry Dodgson's monitor cart (believe it or not, I
>  >got one of these from cart hunting in the wild) only "encrypts" the top 4K
>  >and the vectors immediately jump out to point in the "unencrypted" space.

I have been doing a bit of code tracing regarding this encryption.  I have
read the web pages that state that reverse engineering the encryption
scheme is nearly impossible.  But, call me a fool, I still hold out hope :)
 I want to get a handle on this encryption scheme to determine for certain
if it is reversable.  If it is determined that it is reversable, then I
want to continue to attempt to write the inverse function to the decryption
function.  Does everyone think I'm nuts?  Wasting my time?  Here are my plans:

1) Rewrite the decryption code in C.
2) Analyze what the decryption code is doing.
3) Write the inverse function.

This may be a project that needs a group effort, and I would love to work
together with anybody who feels that they can contribute to this!

				Bob