[stella] Tetris copyright?!!!

Subject: [stella] Tetris copyright?!!!
From: "woloch.kurt. :E2-RB.BRZ.BMF.GV" <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:34:00 +0100
Hi everyone!

I just realized a new company appearing on the market.
It's called "The Tetris company" and obviously has bought all the rights to
Tetris.
Now they try to track down every Tetris clone that's not licensed by them,
even if it carries a different name.
Since some of you coded Tetris clones for the 2600, this could be of some
importance to you if you want to sell or give away these programs. Obviously
their policy seems to be "Either talk to us first, and license it, or don't
do it". And it seems to be difficult to talk to them, judging from what I've
read so far.

Their Internet address is:

http://www.tetris.com

You can read something from a Tetris clone author who was threatened by them
at:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2430/tetris.html

Now I wonder if this is really a relevant company, or a fake. Question two
would be if Tetris clones under different names, and not exactly matching
the original gameplay, having extra features erc. can be an infringement of
the original Tetris copyright. I know that especially on the 2600 there are
relatively few examples of stolen game concepts, even if there are some
(like Pac-Man vs. Aliens), and I also don't know if this company already
made it through with bringing a Tetris clone author to court, and winning
the case, or if they are only trying to frighten non-licensing authors.

Has anyone of you heard something like this before?

With love (and many lines to fill)

Kurt Woloch