Re: [stella] Mass-Produced portible VCS?

Subject: Re: [stella] Mass-Produced portible VCS?
From: Mark De Smet <desmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:35:22 -0600 (CST)
> I had an idea... A portible VCS that not only accepted carts, but also
> had a self-contianed menu for the loading and addition of rom image
> files.. Hmm. Would this be feasibly possible?

Didn't the TV boy do this?  The technology exists, and is easily applyable
to supply many games to a system(see info on building your own
multicarts), and allow the user to select a game. It is feasable to have a
VCS program that would implement the menu, which would in turn select a
rom to play.  It could be tricky to try to implement a menu with the VCS's
video hardware however.

Yes, it is possible, and depending on how complex, maybe easy to
construct.

I am currently working on a project which would implement all of the above
in a self contained unit(internal display and keypad for menu), but also
allows downloading games from carts, bankswitching schemes, transmitting
to/from a pc, onboard assembly and disassembly.  This all is however not
really portable, and quite an elaborate system.  What I am constructing
would be cost prohibitive to produce($175 minimum), and requires to be
plugged into a VCS(although one could be easily incorporated it into the
same case).  It is so expensive because of how technically advanced it
actually has to be to be able to do all of the above.  It will actually
end up being about twice as powerful as the original IBM PC.

Mark