Re: [stella] Getting closer...

Subject: Re: [stella] Getting closer...
From: Lord Spambraticus of Borg <spambrat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:06:47 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Erik Mooney wrote:

> >Good evening all you StellaListers!  What's up?  I have almost finished
> >"Pressure Guage" and have a few quick questions that have "tickled my
> >fancy".
> >
> >1) Does anyone know how the random X-coordinate of the Kaboom guy is
> >generated?  My guess is that it would be time-based as well as
> >potentiometer-based.
>
> Er, why would the X-coordinate be based on the potentiometer?  If all
> you need is a random number algorithm suitable for the 2600, I posted
> one some time back... you can find it in the archives with
> http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/9703/msg00296.html .

Well, I know you're asking more for "something like" Kaboom! rather than
something exactly like it, but if you recall, Kaboom! waves came in
alternating "patterns".

One pattern was "nice" and pretty sinusoidal... and the other was a bit
more "chaotic".  I suspect they used a little table, with some
quick-n-dirty random function.

What I always liked about Kaboom! was the sonic reward you got for getting
good at the fastest levels... you got to hear the 1812 at full speed. At
the lower levels, it was too slow to sound like a song, really. :)

Ah, the memories,
=R=