[stella] re: Timing problems & Game server.

Subject: [stella] re: Timing problems & Game server.
From: Mark De Smet <desmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 17:52:38 -0500 (CDT)
> If many of you recall, I'm working on the great atari development
> system/game server.  Currently, mainly on the game server.

> Any ideas about what else may cause such software actions?

(This is the answer that I figured out to a thread I started several weeks
back)

For those of you who may be interested, I think that I solved what was
going on with this system.

I'm now fairly sure that the issue was with the data transmission between
my system and the Atari.  Although I only present a small chip count on
the Atari's bus(1 EPROM and 1 bus transciever), the cable connecting the 2
has too much signal loss/crosstalk.  This is despite the fact that I kept
the cable short, and used an extremely good cable.  I had figured that the
short cable, quality of it, and low speed of the Atari would prevent this
from being a problem...

For anyone who plans on building something that plugs into the cartridge
socket, I would recommend limiting the Atari's signals to within a few
inches of the Atari.  My planned solution is to put a SRAM into the
cartridge(I have an empty cartridge that has my cable hanging out the
back), and have my system use the connecting cable at a lower speed to
write that SRAM, so the Atari's signals only propagate into the cartridge
instead of into my system.

If you are interested, you can see my current version of the schematics
and code at
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~desmet/projects.html
Note that these schematics do have this data transmision problem, and
there will still be much improvements in the future.

I'd be happy to field any questions.

Mark