Re: [stella] technical diagrams/voiceover for documentary

Subject: Re: [stella] technical diagrams/voiceover for documentary
From: Dan Knapp <dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:11:03 -0400 (EDT)
> I am going to be creating some animated diagrams for Stella at 20 (I'll
> have to change that title of course by CGExpo 99) and I need to find a few
> people from Stellalist who can help me with the voiceover script and how to
> best translate that voiceover into said diagrams.  It's something I've been
> planning to do for ages, and now that the release date is approaching, I
> need to tackle it head on, hopefully with the help of StellaList.

  Sounds fun.  I have only a minimum of experience with Stella programming,
but I would certainly love to help, since it sounds like what you need is
a set of notations and diagrams to visually demonstrate the states of various
parts of the system as these programs execute.  I must add the disclaimer that
I am a student and thus my time is not my own.
  I'm not sure what software would be used to produce such animated diagrams.
Obviously the stills need to be done with a draw-like program... (Producing
them on the 2600 itself would have a certain beauty to it but would most
likely be very difficult.) ... but no animation program that I know of would
permit the right sort of mixing (well, 3D Studio, but...).  I could write a
Mac app to show the animation, but that leaves the problem of capturing it
or writing to some output format.  What sort of production method were you
thinking of?

> I'd like to show, visually, how the TIA chip works, how the sound
> generators work, and how particular kernels run, like Dragster, Space
> Invaders, Combat, Air-Sea Battle, Dragonfire, and Suicide Mission.
[...]
> So if you'd like to assist, please let me know.  This is the real
> nuts-and-bolts portion of the documentary as far as its technical bent.
> The rest is more human-interest-related.

|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  | dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                           |
|---------------|  Blip  | http://www.bergen.org/~dankna/                  |
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  | C PS SQL Java Unix Mac RPN/L NES SMB1 BM        |