Re: [stella] a "pot" of confusion

Subject: Re: [stella] a "pot" of confusion
From: gentlben@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:56:46 -0700
> Well, whatever you do, make sure that you have plenty of extra 'space' on
> both ends.  By space, I mean extra numbers.  So that if you count from 0 to
> 255, make sure that only, for instance, 64 to 192 are on the screen.  As
> much as some people hate that extra turn space at the ends of all paddle
> games(such as the all fav. Kaboom!), it is neccessary.  Because of the
> charge timing method used, the scheme is very dependant on the value of the
> capacitor and resistance.  There is some tolerance in both.

hmmm, well there are two things that just dont quite fly with this method
described
earlier...first, if i only receive the end result (counter value) at overscan,
then that
means i would have to draw the block/player/man/whatever on the next frame, and
two, after looking over the stella document some more, i noticed that positioning

players, missiles and balls isnt as simple as, say, putting in a coordinate in
the horizontal sense...unless i had some really sophisticated code and used the
HMOVE register and the horizontal relative movement registers to move it
accordingly...
vertical movement with the player/man seems easier to code...(but since im a
newbie
ive noticed a lot of things peculiar, like all the "housekeeping" done in
adventure and
many other games :)

> Furthermore, if
> the contacts(the DB-9 joystick port) of the person's paddle is more
> corroded(as with old equiptment), there would be a higher minimum resistance.

hmmmm, well then they may need to get new paddles :P (or at least old ones in
new-like condition)...

one more question and then ill probably wait for a while b4 asking more ;-) one,
it seems that a great fraction of the roms out there will not run on a
supercharger
without crashing according to bob colbert...anyway, what i want to know is, what
can be done to prevent that from happening?

(btw, if ur reading this, how the heck did u find 100 cartridges?! were they just
lying around the house hehe)