Re: [stella] A couple of questions

Subject: Re: [stella] A couple of questions
From: "Clay Halliwell" <clay.h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:14:26 -0500
My understanding of the 7800 controller (based on many hours trying to
figure out how to turn a NES control pad into a 7800 controller) is as
follows:

The left button is wired to Paddle 0, the right button is wired to Paddle 1,
and they're BOTH wired to Trigger 0.

This is really a rather clever arrangement, as it means that 7800
controllers (all three of them) work fine with 2600-compatible games, and
7800 games that use only one button can be played with a 2600 controller.
Games like Asteroids, which work with either type of controller, appear to
do a simple auto-detect based on the first button press.

Also, it means that, YES, a 2600 game could make use of the 7800's two
buttons.

PS-- Hey, this is my first post to the Stella list! I've been lurking here
for a month or two. Hi Glenn! What's all this confusing 6502 stuff you guys
are talking about? <grin>

 --
Clay Halliwell           | ATARI XL/XE   DO + THE
clay.h@xxxxxxx           | 8 - B I T S   --------